Thursday, May 10, 2012

Candid by Michelle Pennington

Life is simple for high school senior, Sienna Whitfield. With a few good friends, a camera, and a dream, she has everything she needs to be happy. But when Jordan Rubio, the most popular girl at Haskins High, makes her mad, she decides to use the power of photography to right a few social wrongs. As if that doesn't cause enough drama in her life, she realizes she's falling for the new guy, Lee Franklin. Strong and protective, he's just what she needs to survive the craziness she's stirred up at school. If only she didn't have to keep her feelings for Lee a secret from her mom...

When I first read the description of Candid, I expected it to be just another romance. Basically unknown girl tries to get revenge on the queen of the school, falls for the new guy who she thinks doesn't know she exists, until the very last chapter. This book was completely different though. You do have the romance aspect everyone enjoys, but it's about actually building a relationship. This book gives you an example of how you don't have to get all hot and heavy to be in love, and maybe some guys do still have old fashioned manners that aren't vampires. Then we also have the problem of the social ladder in high school, which everyone deals with growing up, but this book shows you that sometimes you can break the common mold and it is possible to do anything you set your mind to. As for the characters, I respected them deeply. Sienna has such a fire, that she reminds me of Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games. She thinks too little of herself, and doesn't realize how much affect she can have on people. As for Lee, I'm going to have to add him to my list of boys that I wish were real *sigh*. Then we have the other characters such as Marisol and Parker. I really loved both of them and I feel like they gave the story really good support. Another thing that I really loved about the book was Michelle's writing style, she gave such vivid descriptions and everything flowed so nicely, I didn't have to worry about any awkward phrases or run-on sentences. Also Michelle was able to give the story some great comical aspects. There were quite a few moments where I would read a line and start laughing hysterically gaining concerned looks from my family members and even some points where I would start talking to myself/characters and my mom would come into my room and asked if I was on the phone. Another thing that I really liked about the book, was that it wasn't one where you have to wait the entire book for the girl and the guy to get together, and then there are also a bunch of misunderstandings. In this book, you get to focus more on things like how a relationship can strive without sex. One thing you should know though, is the book is not solely based on romance. It has so many more meanings, on how sometimes you need to stand up for what you believe in and even though you are only one person, sometimes that is all it takes to make a difference. Overall I highly enjoyed this book and I am really surprised that this is a self-published novel. It is so well done and made over, you could literally stick some big publishing house's name on it and I am sure they would be proud to call it theirs. This author reminds me a lot of Rachel Hawthorne and if you have ever enjoyed any of her books, I suggest you get to this one ASAP! This was a book where I picked it up and literally did not put it down until the very last word. I cannot wait for the sequel!! :)


This book receives a 5/5.
Thanks for reading!!!


If you would like to read this book you can purchase it on Amazon here.

1 comment:

  1. I have read this book also. I was very impressed with how good it is! I thoroughly enjoyed every page! Michelle - hurry up with that sequel!

    ReplyDelete